To get ready for coming back to school in September, we strongly recommend that your child reads over Summer. Please find below lots of great resources for reading.
This year, for the first time ever, the Summer Reading Challenge is going digital! The annual reading promotion has already begun and continues through until the end of summer.
For 2020 join the Silly Squad, a lovable bunch of animals who run a fantastic fun house, in celebrating funny books, happiness and laughter.
But beware: a mysterious baddy is waiting to spoil the fun!
As they read books, children taking part online will find out more about the fantastic characters and will unlock digital rewards, activities and video content as rewards for their reading.
It’s so simple to join! Just head over to the Silly Squad website and sign up for FREE.
The challenge to read and enjoy books is still the same, although the books don’t have to be library books this year – they can be ones you already have at home or have borrowed from friends.
Why not browse and borrow from our many eBooks, eAudio books and eMagazines in our FREE digital library? Find out how easy it is to access these here, Search and read eBooks and eAudiobooks. Why not search the collection in the Rochdale Libraries online catalogue? There are lots to choose from!
For more information and links to lots of activities for children and families go to Rochdale Borough Libraries Facebook
Apps and Games.
- LearnEnglishKids - Free British Council resources with reading comprehensions, word games and interactive stories. Great for KS1 and English-language learners. Available at: https://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/
- FunBrain - A variety of games for most subjects. Available at https://www.funbrain.com/
Reading treasure hunt - Do join us on this Reading Treasure Hunt. Invite your families to take part at home or over a video-call with family and friends. See https://bit.ly/RfPHome We’d love to see your own families’ treasure hordes too as your children will! #ReadingTreasure
Summer Reading Adventure - Gearing up to enjoy the summer? Do send home this map of fun reading conquests for children. See https://bit.ly/RfPHome It prompts children to become reading adventurers – they could complete and then share with you in September! #OUReadingAdventure
Circle of Reading - Ten top authors have made a fun Circle of Reading Video just for us! Find out their diverse reading choices and join the circle by using the hashtag #CircleofReading. Add a picture of your favourite reading that isn’t book- bound and maybe include yourself in the snap too?! Can you guess which authors will be in the video?
- OxfordOwl - Free eBook Library available at https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/books/free-ebooks/.
- Global Storybooks - Free dual-language library available at https://globalstorybooks.net/
- MantraLinguaUK - Free dual-language books until the end of August. Fill out the online form to access here: https://uk.mantralingua.com/homereading
- Literacy Trust - Family area resources available at
Books for Topics - Fun Bingo game to play around books. Available at
- Books for Topics - Storytime online available at
- Books for Topics - Posters for branching out from other favourite texts available at
- LoveReading4Kids - Fun competitions and challenges available at https://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/kids-zone/
Videos and Media.
- Staff Stories.
- Mrs Whitfield reads 'The Paperbag Prince' - https://www.facebook.com/StMarysCERochdale/videos/516731195932593
- Mrs Brown reads 'A Squash and a Squeeze' - https://www.facebook.com/StMarysCERochdale/videos/206243320650171/
- Mr Carey reads 'How to be a Lion' - https://www.facebook.com/StMarysCERochdale/videos/652919408826678
- Miss Thomas reads 'Lost and Found' - https://www.facebook.com/237926607145982/videos/436266843662663/
- Miss Robinson reads 'Tog the Dog' -https://www.facebook.com/237926607145982/videos/539861613222696/
- Miss Lamb reads 'Mr Wolf's Pancakes'-https://www.facebook.com/StMarysCERochdale/videos/538647376943502/
- Mrs Holahan reads 'There's a Rang-Tan in My Bedroom!' - https://www.facebook.com/StMarysCERochdale/videos/923583504762993/
- Kids' Poems and Stories with Michael Rosen- https://www.youtube.com/user/artificedesign
- The World of David Walliams - Free audio stories from David Walliams books. Check back daily for new stories. Available at https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses/